Monday, May 22, 2006

Sayings of the Wise Pt 1

English majors and teachers (both of which I am) love playing with words, and from time to time I come up with pithy little sayings - if I do say so myself. Here are two such beasts.

1) When you need to explain that you would really like to try something but are afraid of failure, spin it this way: "I would if I could but I can't so I won't." Incidentally, I've taught modal verbs of probability and possibility using this phrase.

2) You know we are living in a Starbucks world when you hear the following play on words: "That's a tall order on such short notice."

Enjoy and use until your heart's content - or until your friends and family are thoroughly tired of them. If you keep using them beyond that point, it just becomes offensive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home